Pages

Monday, March 1, 2010

Yummy Yummy Flatbread!

For those of you who haven't heard yet, I've become a major health nut. As in, a granola-making, flour-grinding, vitamin-counting, kind-I-used-to-ridicule health nut. The irony in this, of course, is the fact that I am also a cake decorator by part-time trade. Yup, people pay me to bake them literally sinful but yummy and beautiful confections. Personally, I find that downright hilarious!

At some point I'll fill you all in on what led to the health craze in our household, but for now, I just have to share a yummy idea with you. Not my idea, mind you, as it came to me through my friend from her sister...but it's so simple, and after trying it and finding how utterly awesome it was, I just have to share.

For those of you who already make your own tortillas (if you're not one of "us," never fear, I will give a tutorial on that in the weeks to come), simply make your favorite recipe for pizza crust dough...the kind made with yeast...then divide and roll it into balls that are about 1 1/2 - 2 times the size of a ping pong ball. Then prepare as you would tortillas! It's that simple! What you'll get is a thick, soft, yummy flatbread that makes wonderful packable sandwiches.

It freezes well, too, so you can make a whole big batch and then just thaw out what you need for a quick lunch. This has been a lifesaver with lunches this week, as it's one of those extremely busy weeks in homeschool-land.

I imagine that you could even use the Pillsbury Refrigerated Pizza Dough, and get yummy results. Of course, that would defeat any nutritional purposes. When I get a chance, if there is any interest, I'll post the whole wheat recipe that I use, as well as my methodology for making the tortillas/flatbreads.

In the meantime, go experiment! Kitchen experiments are the yummiest!! (usually...)

No comments:

Post a Comment